|Copyright: gianfranco calzarano (baddori)
|Date Taken: 2012-05-18|
|Camera: Nikon D80|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2015-12-14 1:05|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|I sent a friend request, are freelance photographer (on the road) for hobbies ...|
Approved the construction and chose the route of the railway in 1911, it was decided a few years later who to entrust the work and management. So it was with this purpose that the Southern Railway Sarde Limited Company was founded in Busto Arsizio in 1915. The First World War caused a postponement of the works, which were initiated only in 1923. Within three years, they were built 107 km of railway narrow gauge (950 mm), connecting the port of Calasetta with the network of FS Monteponi (fraction of Iglesias) and Siliqua, with two branches that were joining in Palmas Suergiu (now called San Giovanni Suergiu).
The inaugural train of FMS in park Iglesias in May 1926
The passage of the FS is Monteponi-Iglesias (6 km) to the FMS and the consequent change of gauge, ranked by Royal Decree 668 of 1926, completed the FMS network, which was inaugurated on May 13 of that year and began working 10 days later. The type of traction used was to steam, and were originally in service 8 locomotives Breda.
In 1936 Fiat became a shareholder of FMS, and the network built sulcitana 4 diesel railcars. The foundation of Carbonia (1938) Increase significantly the passenger and cargo traffic (coal), thanks to the fact that the mine Serbariu was close to the railway, which then proved the most immediate solution for the transport of ore to the port of Sant ' Antiochus. Were the boom years of the railway Sulcis, carrier they were traveling in the vast majority of goods in the area: at this time of the FMS are about 700 employees and is touching spikes of 60 trains a day .
3 of 4 ALn 200 in Palmas Suergiu (later San Giovanni Suergiu) in the thirties of the twentieth century
Just to speed up coal transportation, trafficking between Carbonia and Sant'Antioco Ponti station was converted to double track in 1940 (the first section of double track in Sardinia ), and a number of steam locomotives from various Italian railway authorities, were added to the park of Southern Sarde. In particular were purchased, on several occasions, 22 specimens of locomotives R.370, private wheel rack, from the narrow-gauge railway network in Sicily. In those same years, in 1942 , the FMS joined by the rail service to bus lines, thus reaching even the town Sulcis not cross the tracks of the company.
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.