|Copyright: Arturo Abbiati (artabb)
|Date Taken: 2013-05|
|Camera: Sony DSC F-717|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2013-05-23 7:51|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|A view of the Certosa di Pavia from its Wrought iron gate.|
Gian Galeazzo Visconti, hereditary lord and first Duke of Milan, commissioned the building of the Certosa to the architect Marco Solari, inaugurating the works and laying the foundation stone on August 27, 1396, as recorded by a bas-relief on the facade. The location was strategically chosen midway between Milan and Pavia, the second city of the Duchy, where the Duke held his court.
The church, the last edifice of the complex to be built, was to be the family mausoleum of the Visconti. It was designed as a grand structure with a nave and two aisles, a type unusual for the Carthusian Order. The nave, in the Gothic style, was completed in 1465.
The church was consecrated on May 3, 1497. The lower part of the fašade was not completed until 1507.
The construction contract obliged the monks to use part of the revenue of the lands held in benefice to the monastery to continue to improve the edifice. Consequently, the Certosa includes a huge collection of artworks of all centuries from the 15th to the 18th.
jean11-3, brech has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
Hi, Arturo. Nice framing and framing with contrast for the Certosa di Pavia church. Good clarity and exposure. Cheers.
Hello Aturo,a well considered composition which has worked well.
The fancy iron work makes a good frame for this beautiful church.The DoF enables us to appreciate the details of the building.
Tfs, regards Jean.
- [2013-05-23 10:39]
Great architecture, good sharpness and light, nice idea to take it through the decorative grille
Ciao Arturo, gran bella cornice per la favolosa facciata, splendida luce, bravo, buon week end, ciao Silvio