<< Previous Next >>

"A Village to the Jews"


Photo Information
Copyright: Mert Serter (mserter) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 47 W: 19 N: 29] (768)
Genre: Places
Medium: Black & White
Date Taken: 2007-01-03
Categories: Decisive Moment
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel, Sigma DC 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
Exposure: f/10.0, 1/500 seconds
More Photo Info: [view]
Photo Version: Original Version
Date Submitted: 2007-01-06 4:31
Viewed: 1927
Points: 4
[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note
The fortress of Terezín was constructed between the years 1780 and 1790. Formerly in the 19th century it was used to accommodate military and political prisoners.

On June 10, 1940, the Gestapo took control of Terezín and set up prison in the Small Fortress (Kleine Festung). By 24 November 1941, the Main Fortress (grosse Festung, ie the town Theresienstadt) was turned into a walled ghetto. The function of Theresienstadt was to provide a front for the extermination operation of Jews. To the outside it was presented by the Nazis as a model Jewish settlement, but in reality it was a concentration camp. Theresienstadt was also used as a transit camp for European Jews en route to Auschwitz and other extermination camps.

On June 23, 1944, the Nazis permitted the visit by the Red Cross in order to dispel rumours about the exterminations camps. The commission included E. Juel-Henningsen, the head physician at the Danish Ministry of Health, and Franz Hvass, the top civil servant at the Danish Foreign Ministry. Dr. Paul Eppstein was instructed by the SS to appear in the role of the mayor of Theresienstadt.

To minimize the appearance of overcrowding in Theresienstadt, the Nazi deported many Jews to Auschwitz. Also deported in the some 7,500 were most of the Czechoslovakian workers assigned to 'Operation Embellishment.' They also erected fake shops and cafés to imply that the Jews lived in relative comfort. The Danes whom the Red Cross visited lived in freshly painted rooms, not more than three in a room. The guests enjoyed the performance of a children's opera, Brundibar, which was written by inmate Hans Krása.

The hoax against the Red Cross was so successful for the Nazis that they went on to make a propaganda film at Theresienstadt. Shooting of the film began on February 26, 1944. Directed by Jewish prisoner Kurt Gerron (a director, cabaret performer, and actor who appeared with Marlene Dietrich in The Blue Angel), it was meant to show how well the Jews lived under the "benevolent" protection of the Third Reich. After the shooting most of the cast, and even the filmmaker himself, were deported to Auschwitz. Gerron and his wife were executed in the gas chambers on October 28, 1944. The film was not released at the time, but was edited into pieces that served their purpose, and only segments of it have remained.

Often called The Führer Gives a Village to the Jews, the correct name of the film is: Theresienstadt. Ein Dokumentarfilm aus dem jüdischen Siedlungsgebiet (Terezin: A Documentary Film of the Jewish Resettlement). (Cf. Hans Sode-Madsen: The Perfect Deception. The Danish Jews and Theresienstadt 1940–1945. Leo Baeck Yearbook, 1993)

jityna, azleader has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.
Add Critique [Critiquing Guidelines] 
Only registered TrekLens members may write critiques.
Discussions
None
You must be logged in to start a discussion.

Critiques [Translate]

Hi Mert, what a strong feeling, sign above the gate and your note....impressive.
TFS
Jityna

Good composition and powerful BW presentation. Good note about a horrible time in world history. Best we never forget.

Witam tak chciałem spojrzeć na dzisiejszego NEWS na 1 i się zastanawiam ...
Pozdrawiam serdecznie



Arbeit Macht Frei (niem. praca czyni wolnym) - niemiecka formuła wywiedziona z rozpowszechnionego w tradycji protestanckiej cytatu z Ewangelii Jana (J 8, 32) Wahrheit macht frei (lit. prawda czyni wolnym, czy - wedle Biblii Tysiąclecia - prawda was wyzwoli).

Calibration Check
















0123456789ABCDEF