Hey litle girl take care
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|The Principality of Stavelot-Malmedy was a principality of the Holy Roman Empire. Princely power was exercised by the Benedictine abbot of the imperial double monastery of Stavelot and Malmedy, founded in 651. At 600 km2 (230 sq mi), it was the second-smallest territory in the Empire, after the Duchy of Bouillon at 140 km2 (54 sq mi).  Along with Bouillon and the Prince-Bishopric of Liège, it was one of only three principalities in the region that were never a part of the Southern Netherlands,  all having been a part of the Lower Rhenish Imperial Circle, rather than the Burgundian Circle. |
In 1795 the principality was abolished and its territory was incorporated into the French département of Ourthe.  The Congress of Vienna in 1815 assigned Stavelot to the United Kingdom of the Netherlands  and Malmedy became part of the Prussian district of Eupen-Malmedy. Both are currently parts of the Kingdom of Belgium — since the 1830 Belgian Revolution and the 1919 Treaty of Versailles respectively
horias has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekLens members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|